I’m a stickler for all things organic and natural… well at least as much as possible when you live such a metropolitan life. I believe that nature has a cure for everything, including the party bug. Every girl’s gotta have her fun, but here are some holistic tips for when we over indulge during a crazy night…
All of these refreshing cures try to rehydrate your body, and supply it with the lost potassium and magnesium ions, as well as balance the blood pH again.
- As soon as you wake up, drink 2 large glasses of water to undo the dehydration. Even better if you drink hot water with added one tablespoon of honey. Honey contains plenty of fructose (a simple sugar, also called fruit sugar) which speeds up the metabolism of alcohol. You can also eat just two tablespoons of honey, which is great quick cure.
- Have a large glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit, orange or tomato juice. Fruit juice is rich in fructose and minerals therefore excellent to drink as soon as you wake up.
- Good tip is eating some dates! Dates also have a high fructose content.
- Eat one tablespoon of Blackstrap Molasses in the morning. Molasses are rich in potassium and other minerals you have lost. You will be amazed how rejuvenated you feel after eating molasses!
- Have a banana milkshake! Banana milkshake is an especially good way to replace potassium, magnesium and other nutrition lost during a night of nonstop partying. Mix half cup of milk with one banana and two teaspoons of honey in a blender and drink up.
- Pickle juice or sauerkraut brine are great healing remedies! Drink a small cup slowly.
- If you have the time make yourself a delicious revitalizing soup. Main ingredients are white cabbage, onions and carrots. (If you have access to sauerkraut use it instead of raw cabbage. Use also the juice of sauerkraut.) Chop the vegetables and put them in a large pan with some olive oil. Stir-fry the vegetables with some salt for 10 minutes. Add two cloves of crushed garlic and enough water to cover all the ingredients. Simmer for one hour. Season with pepper, parsley and dill. Add some creme-fraiche or sour cream at the end. The soup is loaded with useful minerals, antioxidants, nutrients and alkaline substances is therefore excellent cure for a late night out on the town.
- Get plenty of sleep! Your body is worn out and the best medicine after a night out is having enough wholesome sleep.
- Take cold or cool showers! You will feel a lot better after! It is an easy remedy and helps you feel better than you might think.
- Kudzu (Pueraria lobata) is a traditional Chinese remedy to refresh your body, usually taken as a ‘morning after’ tea. Buy kudzu tincture in health-food shop and follow the dosage directions on the package.
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) tea. The infusion speeds up the metabolism of alcohol in your body, helps the liver to break down these toxins and ameliorates headache. Altogether it is great remedy for the “morning after”. How to make a rosemary tea? Put 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary plant into a 1 cup of freshly boiled water. Cover and leave to infuse for 10 minutes. Strain and drink one cup with honey added.
- Chamomile flower tea. Chamomile tea soothes the irritated gastrointestinal tract is therefore good medicine as well. How to make a chamomile tea? Add a 1 teaspoon of dried flower heads to one cup of boiling water, and leave to infuse for ten minutes. Strain and drink several cups a day.
- White willow (Salix alba) bark tea. Decoction of willow bark contains salicin – natural aspirin-like substances – which act as a light painkiller without irritating the stomach. Willow bark tea is able to diminish headache caused by hangover. How to make the replenishing decoction? Put 1 teaspoon of willow bark into a large cup of water. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes in a covered pot. Strain and drink one cup three times a day before meals.
Also, anything with the following ingredients will help you cleanse out your system:
- Lupulus humulus (30C) is a remedy that works by addressing conditions of the nervous system related to nausea, dizziness and headache following a night’s debauchery! People who wake with a dull, heavy headache with dizziness and with skin that feels chapped after a night out would also benefit from this remedy.
- Lobelia inflata (30C) is best suited to those who suffer with gastric problems such as morning nausea and vomiting following intoxication. People who find that their urine is of a deep orange/red color the morning after a night of alcohol consumption would also benefit from Lobelia.
- Nux vomica (30C) suits “work hard, play hard” types who often overindulge with food and drink. Nausea, vomiting and abdominal pains are commonly lessened by this remedy. It is also successfully used to help address the poor effects of coffee, tobacco, alcoholic stimulants, highly spiced or seasoned food, over–eating, long continued mental over–exertion, sedentary habits and loss of sleep.
So good luck next time you party too hard!